FENELLA KERNEBONE BIOGRAPHY
Fenella Kernebone is a television and radio presenter and producer, MC, interviewer and writer and has a long record working across arts, film, music, design and culture. She is currently the host of Radio National’s By Design and is also the host of her electronic music show, The Sound Lab on Triple J radio.
Fenella is also in demand as an MC, compere, interviewer , facilitator and public speaker. Topics touch on all kinds of ideas … design, architecture, the built environment, arts, film, music, creativity, history, science, medicine, culture and all round nerdy goodness. In April 26th – she hosted the breakout sessions at The Studio in the Sydney Opera House for TedxSydney, 2014.
In the past year she has chaired panels at The Byron Bay Writers Festival, Sydney Writers Festival, Historic House Trust, National Gallery of Victoria and the Art Gallery of NSW. Fenella is a regular guest at AGNSW for their Art After Hours Series and has interviewed on stage some incredible Australians including Sarah Blasko, Tim Storrier, Lindy Lee and Robyn Davidson, Wayne Blair, Trevor Jamieson and Gyton Grantley.
In 2013 she curated and hosted the first series of “Art on the Rocks” at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney. This three part series explored our relationship to art, design, how we live in the city and more. Panelists included Hannah Gadsby, Tara Moss, Ben Quilty and Anthony Burke engaging in energetic debates, with a lively audience and sweet live music.
She also hosted another three part series exploring designers whose work has a direct impact on the human body at Object Gallery in July, August and September, 2013.
Other activities include hosting the 2013 Creative Partnership Awards at Parliament House, Canberra; Australian Interior Design Awards, 2013; The Fairfax Commercial Property Conference; a wonderful opportunity to act on the jury (residential) for the NSW Architecture Awards and judging the final round of Realise Your Dream Awards. She’s also working on a project with a buddy that remains so far one of those projects that you work on with a buddy.
A couple of other highlights include artist Nick Stathopolous painting her portrait – which was a finalist in the 2012 Archibald Prize – Art Does Belong and reading a book about a cow who loves pears (seriously) on Giggle and Hoot.
In 2010 -2011, Fenella was the host of Art Nation on ABC TV and prior to that, presented and produced on the previous arts show, Sunday Arts. In these roles she has interviewed a score of Australian and international artists including Geoffrey Rush, Clive James, Ang Lee, Rufus Wainwright, Laurie Anderson, Philip Glass, Alice Russell, Dan Sultan, Seasick Steve, Sharon Jones, Bill Viola, Stevie Nicks.
Prior to that, she was one of the hosts of The Movie Show on SBS TV where she reviewed hundreds of films and reported from all the major Australian film festivals, the Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals, Tokyo and New York. She has interviewed countless filmmakers and actors including Michel Gondry, Tilda Swinton, Heath Ledger, Isabelle Huppert and Keanu Reeves.
And previously … here’s a few highlights things from the last few years:
- In Conversation With – Adelaide Festival Centre. Throughout 2011 – 2012 Fenella presenting a series of in depth panels in Adelaide examining various arts topics across Australia’s diverse creative cultural landscape, from Australia’s engagement with Asia to the expanding role of the critic.
- MC – Cossack Art Awards, Karratha, Western Australia
- Introducing the legendary This American Life host, Ira Glass at the Sydney Town Hall for the Sydney Festival
- Chair – RMIT Design Challenge
- 2011- MC Australian Dance Awards in Brisbane
- 2011 – Chairing a session in Government House with then Arts Minister, Simon Crean to raise greater support and awareness of the role of Indigenous Art Centres
- 2010 – In Conversation with Sacha Skarbek
- 2010 hosted two half hour episodes of Artscape on ABC TV interviewing Marc Newson and the Kronos Quartet.
- 2009 – MC APRA Classical Music Awards